- Ed.D. Learning and Teaching, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Cambridge, MA
- M.Ed. Learning and Teaching, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Cambridge, MA
- B.A. English (Minor: History), University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
AWARDS & HONORS
- Fulbright Scholar Award, 2011
- SUNY Buffalo State Muriel A. Howard Award for the Promotion of Equity & Campus Diversity, 2015 & 2009
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Spencer Foundation Three Year Research Training Grant, 1997-2000
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Doctoral Entering Award, 1996-97
- EDU 211: Introduction to Literacy
- EDU 310: Teaching Social Studies in the Elementary School
- EDU 311: Teaching Reading & the Other Language Arts in the Elementary School
- EDU 389: IDPS Travel and Service Learning Experience: Chile
- EDU 416: Teaching Literacy in Middle & Secondary Schools
- EDU 417: Adolescent Literacy
- EDU 511: Methods of Teaching English Language Arts
- EDU 609: Literacy Instruction in the Upper Grades
- EDU 654: Social Studies in the Elementary School
TEACHING & RESEARCH INTERESTS & EXPERTISE
- Children’s Literature
- Social Studies
- Culturally Responsive Pedagogy
- Curriculum Development
- Community-University Partnerships
- International Education
CURRENT COLLABORATIVE SERVICE & INVOLVEMENT
- Co-Director (2013-present). SUNY Buffalo State Professional Development Schools Consortium, Buffalo, NY
- PDS Faculty Liaison (2011-present). Herman Badillo Bilingual Academy, Buffalo, NY
- Faculty Advisor (2012-present). SUNY Buffalo State Club HoLA, Buffalo, NY
- Project Co-Leader (2010-present). SUNY Buffalo State Global Book Hour, Buffalo, NY
- PDS Faculty Liaison (2011-present). Universidad Mayor, Santiago, Chile
- del Prado Hill, P., Friedland, E.S., & Phelps, S. (2012). How Teacher Candidates' Perceptions of Urban Students Are Influenced by Field Experiences: A Review of the Literature. Action in Teacher Education, 34(1), 77-96.
- del Prado Hill, P., Phelps, S., & Friedland, E.S. (2007). Pre-service Educators’ Perceptions of Teaching in an Urban Middle School Setting: A Lesson from the Amistad. Multicultural Education, 15 (1), 33-37.
- Draeger, J., del Prado Hill, P., Hunter, L., & Mahler, R.E. (2013).The Anatomy of Academic Rigor: The Story of One Institutional Journey. Innovative Higher Education, 38 (4), 267-279.
- Draeger, J., Mahler, R.E., & del Prado Hill, P. (2014). Developing a Student Conception of Academic Rigor. Innovative Higher Education, 40 (3), 215-228.
- Friedland, E.S., McMillen, S.E., & del Prado Hill, P. (2010-2011). Moving beyond the Word Wall: How Middle School Teachers Use Literacy Strategies. NCSM Journal of Mathematics Education Leadership, 13 (1) 6-18.
- Friedland, E.S., McMillen, S.E., & del Prado Hill, P. (2011). Collaborating to Cross the Math-Literacy Divide: An Annotated Bibliography of Literacy Strategies for the Middle and Secondary Mathematics Classroom. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 55 (1).
- Friedland, E.S., Phelps, S., & del Prado Hill, P. (2006). How Different Media Affect Adolescents' View of the Hero: Lessons from the Amistad. Middle School Journal, 37 (6), 30-36.
- Mahler, R.E., Draeger, J., & del Prado Hill, P. (2014). Comparing Faculty and Student Models of Academic Rigor. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Educational Studies, 8 (1), 31-41.
- McMillen, S. E., del Prado Hill, P.; & Friedland, E. S. (2010). Literacy strategies in Mathematics Instruction: A Look at New York State Classrooms. New Yor State Mathematics Teachers Journal, 60(3), 101 – 103, 110.
- Truesdell, K. & del Prado Hill, P. (2015). Promoting Family Literacy with Global Children’s Literature: How Parents Become Partners in Meeting the Common Core. The Reading Teacher, 68(6), 430-434.
- del Prado Hill, P.; Day, L.K.; Chicola, N.; & Shandomo, H. (2014). PDS as Passport to the World: Preparing the Next Generation of Educators for a Global Community. In Ferrara, Nath, & Guadarrama (Eds.), Creating Visions for University/School Partnerships: A Volume in Professional Development School Research. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Back to Top