Enrollment in all teacher education programs follows the guidelines for "Admission to Teacher Education Programs" found in this catalog. Applicants who do not yet meet all admissions criteria should consult with the department.
All teacher education programs include a clinical/field component. If you have been convicted of a felony, your criminal history record may impede your ability to complete this program and/or become a NYS certified teacher. Please review Buffalo State's Admission of Persons with Prior Felony Convictions Policy.
Completion of a Buffalo State Educator Preparation Program leads to a college recommendation for NYS Teacher Certification. Buffalo State cannot determine the acceptability of an Educator Preparation Program for licensure/certification in another U.S. state or territory. To access Buffalo State’s full Interstate Disclosure document, including a full list of education departments for other states, go to teachercertification.buffalostate.edu/teaching-other-states.
All applicants for Professional Certification in New York State must show evidence of completing the required seminar in Harassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying, and Discrimination in Schools: Prevention and Intervention (DASA Training).
This post-master’s degree program leads to a certificate of advanced study (CAS) in educational leadership and to New York State certification of both School Building Leader and School District Leader.
1. Evidence of a valid permanent or professional certificate in classroom teaching, pupil personnel service, or administration that was issued by any state or national government (submit one copy with application).
2. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
3. Three recommendation forms that attest to applicant potential as an educational leader. Recommenders’ email address must be entered in the online application.
4. Three years of successful teaching and/or supervisory and/or pupil personnel service experience in schools or agencies (pre-K-12).
5. Statement of leadership interests, goals, and relevant professional and community service.
6. An interview providing evidence of successful leadership potential.
7. Evidence of satisfactory verbal and written English language skills.
Each admission requirement is scored according to criteria on an evaluation rubric. The total score is compiled so that any one requirement will not preclude admission, but an overall snapshot of potential student success will be considered.
1. A minimum GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) is required to remain in the program. Coursework (including transfer credit) and field and internship experiences must be completed within six years of the date of enrollment in the program.
2. An application for admission to candidacy, signed by the student, the student’s academic adviser, the department chair, and the School of Education dean, must be submitted after the completion of 6 credit hours and before the completion of 12 credit hours.
3. A maximum of 6 credit hours of independent study may be included in the program.
4. After the successful completion of EDL 703 (Educational Leadership Internship, a 3-credit course), students may enroll in EDL 705 (School District Internship, a 2-credit course). At the completion of each internship experience, a letter grade of S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory) is awarded.
5. All coursework must receive a minimum grade of C to meet program requirements.
6. A maximum of 12 graduate credit may be transferred upon approval. Only grades of B or better will be accepted as transfer credit.
EDL 552 PUBLIC SCHOOL LAW 3
EDL 607 SITE-BASED LEADERSHIP 3
EDL 612 SCHOOL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND FINANCE 3
EDL 613 SCHOOL DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION AND GOVERNANCE 3
EDL 630 CURRICULUM LEADERSHIP 3
EDL 631 SUPERVISION OF TEACHING 3
EDL 702 EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP FIELD EXPERIENCES (1 credit hour course taken 3 times for total of 3 credit hours) 3
EDL 703 EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP INTERNSHIP 3
EDL 704 SEMINAR IN EDUCATIONAL CHANGE 3
EDL 559 PRINCIPLES IN CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING 3
EDL 683 FACILITATION OF GROUP PROBLEM SOLVING 3
EDL 705 SCHOOL DISTRICT INTERNSHIP 2
EDL 602 ADMINISTRATION OF SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS 3
Total Credit Hours 38
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.